Listen Now

Zamfara state governor tells Al Jazeera 279 girls, who were kidnapped on Friday, are safe, as President Buhari expresses joy at their release.

According to President Buhari, the girls returned to the state this morning March 2.

Making the announcement via his personal Twitter page, President Buhari wrote;

”I join the affected families and the people of Zamfara State in welcoming and celebrating the release of the abducted students of GGSS Jangebe. This news bring overwhelming joy. I am pleased that their ordeal has come to a happy end without any incident.

We are working hard to bring an end to these grim and heartbreaking incidents of kidnapping. The Military and the Police will continue to go after kidnappers. They need the support of local communities in terms of human intelligence that can help nip criminal plans in the bud.”

Bello Matawalle said on Tuesday the students were safe with authorities and that no ransom had been paid for their release.

On Friday, police said 317 girls were abducted in the raid by more than 100 gunmen on the Government Girls Secondary School in remote Jangebe village.

However, Matawalle told Al Jazeera the total number of kidnapped students was 279.

Zamfara state spokesman Sulaiman Tanau Anka told Reuters news agency some of the missing girls had run into the bush at the time of the assault, confirming the number of those kidnapped was 279.

Source: Twitter/Mnobeng

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here